After 20 years of grassroots work in some of the world’s poorest slums, red light areas and places of intense human suffering, Phileena and Chris Heuertz have reflected on what it takes for communities to maintain a vibrant, growing spirituality in the face of human need by integrating faith-filled spiritual practice with modern daily life and service.
Gravity, a Center for Contemplative Activism exists to nurture the integral connection between contemplation and action.
Gravity grounds social change in contemplative spirituality, to do good better, by facilitating contemplative retreats, spiritual direction, enneagram consultations, and pilgrimage.
Our aim is to support the development of consciousness by making contemplative practices accessible to individuals and communities who care about their spirituality and want to make the world a better place.
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization in Omaha, Nebraska and partner with individuals, faith communities, organizations, corporations, and foundations.
Join the movement for sustainable social change by partnering financially or participating in one of our programs or services.
Contemplative Retreats for people who long to nurture their relationship with God by cultivating mindfulness and rest in a world that is grossly out of balance with mindless, frantic action.
- Grounding retreats are for people who are new to contemplative spirituality.
- Deepening retreats are for people who are acquainted with the history and methodology of contemplative spirituality, have a daily prayer sit practice (like centering prayer) and who desire to deepen their practice.
- Enlightening retreats are for people who are committed to contemplative activism and long for more teaching to nourish their soul.
Spiritual Direction for seekers looking for companionship and guidance in the journey of their soul.
Enneagram Consultations dismantle your illusions about the self, simultaneously revealing your True Self or Essence, supporting you to offer the best of yourself to a world in a need.
Pilgrimages for sojourners who desire greater personal and global transformation.
- Solidarity: Inquire about participating in a pilgrimage to South America, Southeast Asia, and other parts of the world to join small groups of conversation partners who explore the implications of personal faith in a world of poverty and injustice.
- Religious: Inquire about participating in traditional Christian pilgrimage to places like Assisi, Italy, home of St. Francis and St. Clare—two saints who teach us about the dynamics of contemplative activism.
Additional offerings for you:
Resources to nurture the inner spirit and outer expression of service in the world.
Weekly Contemplative Prayer Sits Wednesdays at 4:00pm CST at the Gravity Center in Omaha, Nebraska or join us from your location anywhere in the world at the same time.
Public Speaker or Retreat Guide Contact us if you are interested in having Chris and/or Phileena Heuertz speak at your church, university, organization, company or community.
At Gravity we strive for financial accountability and transparency.
To view our annual reports click here.